Eric Elisabeth

The following information comes from the named instructor and should describe characteristics general to courses as taught by this instructor. Individual sections of specific courses will deviate from this description in some respects.

Class Format

Face-to-face sections

There are two parts of this class:

  • Once a week students complete experiments related to concepts covered in the lecture in the laboratory.
  • The other part of the class are the lecture sessions—two hours, twice a week for Chem 122 and one hour every day for Chem 124. During a typical class, I will spend 15 minutes commenting PowerPoint slides.  Then students work on problems to check if they understand the concepts discussed. The PowerPoint slides are posted on line, giving students a chance to print them and bring them to class. 

Hybrid sections

PowerPoint slides and videos are posted on line with a weekly schedule. Students are expected to come to class well prepared, having read the slides and watched the videos, and completed homework. The class meets face-to-face once a week for four hours. The first hour is used to answer students’questions and to take quizzes or exams. The additional class time is used for laboratory work. Students need to be highly motivated and well-organized to be successful in the hybrid classes.

Resource Use

Textbooks: Although I do not use the textbook heavily during lecture, I encourage students to read the text before attending lecture.  From time to time during lecture, I comment on graphs or figures from the book, which I also include in the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, students find that the textbook is a good source for practice problems. 

Practice Materials for Chem 122: These sets of problems can be purchased at the bookstore. The packet also contains flash cards.

Online Homework: This type of homework is heavily used in my Chem 124 class but to a lesser extent in my Chem 122 sections.

Additional Supplies: Students must also purchase a lab book, a lab coat, goggles, and a non-graphing calculator.


There are five unit exams during the semester in addition to a final exam which determine 70% to 80% of the course grade.  The remaining 20%-30% of the grade is based on a student’s scores on online homework and quizzes. Chem 122 students get one grade (lecture + lab); whereas Chem 124 students get separate grades for lecture and lab (two grades for the course).

Homework Policy

Assignments related to a unit submitted after the unit exam will not be accepted.

Attendance Policy

Lab-attendance is mandatory. Students are expected to attend labs as scheduled in the section for which they are registered. In Chem 122, students who miss more than 2 lab periods will receive a grade of F for the course.  Because safety issues are often covered at the beginning of the laboratory session, students may not be admitted to the laboratory if they are late.

Lecture attendance is not mandatory. However, it has been well documented that when students miss class their grades suffer. Students who miss quizzes will not have the opportunity to make them up. 


I hold five office hours per week and am often available outside of these times for students who wish to make appointments. I usually respond to email or phone messages the same day they are received, but I may take up to 24 hours to respond, especially on weekends.