Returned Checks

If a check accepted by Johnson County Community College is returned by the bank for insufficient funds, the following procedures will be followed.

Checks Returned for Insufficient Funds

Checks (including web ACH) returned for insufficient funds will be re-submitted. If the check clears the second time, no penalties will be assessed by JCCC.

If your check is returned by the bank for the following reasons:

  • Insufficient Funds-second time
  • Closed or invalid account
  • Stop payment or unauthorized payment

The following actions will occur:

  • You will be assessed a $25 returned check fee.
  • Your account will be placed on hold. The hold is placed on the student, employee, or company account for whom the payment was intended. This may be different from the person who wrote the check.
  • We will notify the account holder by letter at the current address in JCCC’s system.

The check amount and returned check fee must be paid with cash, money order or credit card. Checks will not be accepted from any party while the account is on hold.

Once the amount of the check and the returned check fee have been paid in full, checks will not be accepted as payment for one year from the date the obligation was satisfied.

If your check is returned because an incorrect account number was used online, the following actions will occur:

  • You will be assessed a $5 fee.
  • You (or the account holder) will receive an email notification of the charge. The email will provide instructions to correct the account.
  • If there are three (3) payments in one term with an incorrect account number, you will not be able to use the webcheck payment method for one year. Any scheduled recurring payments or saved payment methods may be deleted from your online profiles.

You may refer to our returned check policy.